Centre, Gujarat agrees to produce papers on release of convicts. Sangbad Pratidin
News Daily Digital Desk: Bilkis Bano’s rapists were acquitted by a Gujarat court last year. Several petitioners filed a case in the Supreme Court challenging that decision. The hearing of that case was held on Wednesday. And on this day, the government lawyer Tushar Mehta said that the Gujarat government and the Center are ready to present the documents related to the release of the convicts before the Supreme Court. The next hearing of the case is in the second week of July.
During the Godhra violence in 2002, 11 people were sentenced to life imprisonment for gang-raping pregnant Bilkis Bano and murdering her family members. But on August 15, the rapists were released on the orders of the Gujarat government. Rapists were virtually given a hero’s welcome by the Vishwa Hindu Parishad. Then the wind of discontent started to blow across the country. Many people approached the Supreme Court against this decision of the Gujarat government.
A section of informed circles consider it significant that the Center and the Gujarat government agreed to present the documents related to the release of criminals to the Supreme Court in the hearing of that case. Because earlier the Center and Gujarat administration had indicated that they are not willing to submit the document to the Supreme Court. They will also request to reconsider the order. But then the Supreme Court told the public prosecutor, “If you do not show the reasons for the release, then we will conclude the matter in our own way.” Finally the Gujarat administration and the Center agreed to show the documents.
Sangbad Pratidin News App: Download Sangbad Pratidin App to get latest news updates