Gosforth’s ‘unpopular’ High Street boulders will be dismantled
A widely criticized boulder branded as “Blight” on Gosforth High Street is set to be permanently removed.
Transport chiefs in Newcastle have confirmed plans to get rid of a long stretch of boulder set up along the length of the busy High Street in 2020, reducing the road from four lanes of traffic to two to give more social distancing Can you For pedestrians and cyclists during the pandemic.
Rather than revert to the old layout, Newcastle City Council says it will widen the pavement to make room for new seats and planting in an effort to make the street a greener and more “people-friendly” area.
It is expected that the changes will be made in early 2023 under an initial trial period lasting 18 months, while the council gathers feedback from local people and for funds to pay for “long-term growth in the sector”. bids.
Announcing its plans on Thursday, the council said traffic data collected over four years had proved that simply moving the high road to two lanes produced “minimal impact” on travel times.
The Cabinet Member of the Authority for Transport, Con Jan Byrne, said: “Bollard on Gosforth High Street is an issue that has been raised with me several times. I believe these proposals will provide a good way for people to commute. There will be better use of space for creating space and prioritizing public transport on major bus routes.
“We just don’t believe that we should remove the boulders and return to four lanes of traffic on one of the city’s narrowest high streets, when what we really need is better and more creative use of space through green infrastructure.” Which clears up the air and benefits everyone. The proposals we are setting will improve public transport services with reliable travel times as well as better bus stops.
“Plus, they will improve the look and feel of Gosforth High Street, making it greener, pleasant and more accessible.”
The council said it would also install a ‘living roof’ at bus stops to support wildlife, provide better bike parking facilities on the high road, and expand the bus lanes at the southern end of the high road.
Bolds has attracted a wave of criticism in the two years since it first emerged, which has been labeled as ugly and confusing for people.
Liberal Democrat councilors last month called for an end to the “mess and uncertainty”, claiming there has been “two years of inaction” on the high street, while Tory campaigner Doc Anand recently called for an end to the traffic cone in his campaign. Made headlines after getting ready in form. against the plan.
How Durham Police helped keep the Royal Family and the public safe during the Queen’s funeral
Mystery behind creepy ITV clip of Queen’s funeral solved
Shocking moment wheelchair-user has to drag himself to the toilet on flight to Newcastle
If you want to read more stories, why not subscribe to your Northern Echo for as little as £1.25 a week. click here