Land surveying now fast; Use of ‘Rover’ system, construction of Vasai, Dahanoot centers in Palghar district
Palghar : A new system of land enumeration on the basis of Continuous Set Reference Center has been implemented in the district along with the Electronic Total Station (ETS) system used for land enumeration. This will speed up land acquisition for various projects in the district. Construction of Center at Dahanu, Vasai has been done.
Continuous traffic reference centers have been set up at 77 places in the state. These centers are in the process of being operationalized at a distance of approximately 70 km from each other. In the earlier traditional method, the land was counted at only one place per day and there were difficulties and limitations if there were tall bushes or grass crops. District Superintendent of Land Records, Palghar Mahesh Ingle has informed that the rover method will overcome the difficulties and it is possible to count the land at three or more places a day. Global Positioning System (GPS) is a rover method for short-term non-operational land surveying. Continuous Operating Reference Stations (UDFAR) have been set up at Malonde in Vasai Taluk and Kasa in Dahanu Taluk of the district under the control of Survey Department of India, Dehradun.
At present, one rover has been provided to each taluka level deputy superintendent land record office in the district and training has been given to land surveying staff for this purpose. In this method, after actually measuring the area, the area is determined immediately and due to the real time kinematic GPS method, it is possible to observe and record any station with an accuracy of three to five centimeters in a few seconds. Moreover, since these records are available in the form of True Coordinates, it is possible to determine the latitude and longitude of any corner of the land and its position through the rover. The use of the Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) system for global positioning and mapping has been steadily increasing since the 1980s, and for some years a continuously operating reference center at an international level would have benefited from actually having accurate measurements.
Constant changes in land surveying technology
In India, Survey of India was established in the year 1767 and since then the work of enumeration, land surveying has been going on under its auspices. However, as the measurement scale was less accurate, locally produced toposheets were used to a lesser extent. Around 1920, the calculation of stomach share using plain table was started in the state and from then till the year 2000, the work continued with the plain table method. Inherent defects in this system such as tall bushes or crops meant that the plan table had to be changed frequently at the time of counting and there were variations in the baseline. Then the Electronic Total Station (ELR) system with millimeter accuracy was implemented for land surveying using Global Positioning System. For this, it was necessary to build and observe for 24 to 72 hours at a certain place. After a while the time was reduced to a few minutes, but it used to take a whole day to count a place.
Advantages of Rover Method
* Counting of farm land or plot will be done five to six times faster than conventional counting with the help of this machine.
* This rover machine based on GPS will improve the quality of the work by making the counting work more accurate.
* Land longitude and latitude will be available to the land owner with more transparency in the calculation work.
* Pending enumeration cases in the district will reduce rapidly due to insufficient manpower and the pressure on land surveyors will be reduced.
* During land acquisition for national projects and other projects, enumeration works, enumeration of forest rights will be speedy.
* It will be possible to count by rover method even when there are obstacles like tall crops, trees, swamps in the ground.
* Since it takes less time to count, even if the rain stops for a while during the monsoon, the counting process can be completed.