HomeBusinessReds Beat Crusaders To Break Christchurch's 25-Year Drought

Reds Beat Crusaders To Break Christchurch’s 25-Year Drought

- Advertisement -

Nuku’alofa, (APP – UrduPoint / Pakistan Point News – 4th May, 2024) Dynamic winger Tim Ryan scored two tries as Queensland Reds beat Canterbury Crusaders 33-28 on Saturday to clinch their first Super Rugby victory in Christchurch for 25 years .

In another blow to the Crusaders’ hopes of defending their title, the Australian visitors scored five tries to four, including a double to 20-year-old flyer Ryan.

His second pushed the Reds 12 points ahead heading into the final quarter and the Crusaders were unable to claw them back, despite a late try from winger Sevu Reece.

Ryan, who scored a hat-trick of tries on debut in last week’s 41-34 loss to the Blues, was dangerous throughout as the Reds recorded a fifth win from 10 games to climb to fifth in the standings. .

Reds captain Liam Wright said his team was full of determination after some narrow defeats this season.

“It was huge, the guys really came together after a season full of losses,” Wright said.

“We did a good job going forward, there were some big moments there with key players.”

The first loss at home to Queensland since 1999 was also the eighth loss of the season for the Crusaders, who slipped to 10th place with four rounds remaining.

They paid again for a high error count and for untimely injuries, with All Blacks loose forward Ethan Blackadder ruled out before kickoff and captain Scott Barrett out early on.

Outstanding flanker Fraser McReight and Ryan crossed early for the Reds before Dallas McLeod reduced the scoreline to 14-7 at the interval.

The home side leveled at 21-21 after tries from forward Corey Kellow and Quinten Strange, but the Reds took the lead again when Harry Wilson scored a clearance from fly-half David Havili. and scored.

Long-serving Wales Test fullback Leigh Halfpenny made a low-key competitive debut for the Crusaders and was substituted immediately after half-time.

– Best of Highlanders Moana –

Earlier in the day, Moana Pasifika did not rise to the occasion in the first ever Super Rugby game played in Tonga, losing 28-17 to the Otago Highlanders in heavy weather.

Heavy rain and sodden ground conditions dampened the atmosphere in Nuku’alofa, with the hard-working visitors, who scored three tries to two.

All the tries came in the first half when the Highlanders built a 19-17 lead, and the New Zealand side pulled away after the interval with three penalty goals to fly half Cameron Millar.

Moana started strongly, scoring tries through prop Abraham Pole and fullback William Havili, but the Highlanders responded each time, through fullback Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens, who crossed twice, and winger Connor Garden-Bachop.

The Highlanders’ second consecutive win means they will only stay inside the top eight, while Moana will be ninth or worse at the end of the round, depending on other results.

- Advertisement -

Most Popular